Thursday, February 2, 2017

Viennese artists






This, the first of the two portraits, is considered by many to be his finest work. The sitter, Adele Bloch-Bauer, the wife of a Viennese banker and Klimt's lover, is adorned with precious materials and ancient artifacts, suggesting her wealth and power; but her stare, and her grasping hands, also suggest that she is fragile (the disfigured finger on her right hand is concealed). When I first saw this painting with the golden color it reminds me of the bright and shimmering golden sun. This makes me feel relaxed and calm. To know that the gold meant' wealth to him, yes I can see that now once I read about the painter.  I remember a movie about this exact painting not too long ago and I never understood the meaning.  I do not think they ever really explained the inspiration for him painting it, just who he painted for.  I'm glad I got a chance to be able to fully understand the meaning of this painting and my interpretation on how it makes me feel personally by seeing it.


Related image

Woman in Gold ‘La Mona Lisa d’Austria’ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/woman-in-gold/gustav-klimt-art-affairs/

No comments:

Post a Comment